The winter winds will soon be whipping and the snow flying in much of the nation. If you live in one of the country’s colder regions, you may already find yourself dreading the chance in seasons. If you already miss the feel of the sun on your back and a club in your hand, you may need to plan a quick (or maybe a long-term) golf weekend somewhere warm, sunny and just plain beautiful.
Whether you are an amateur golf enthusiast, or someone who has what it takes to play with the pros, you don’t have to set aside your game for months on end just because of where you live. Bad weather doesn’t;t mean the end of your game. Colder temperatures shouldn’t keep you from hitting a few rounds. There are plenty of warm weather golf courses strategically located around the country that can satisfy your need to hit the course and give you a place to retreat during winter’s worst. So grab your remote controlled golf cart and hit the links!
Florida Has a lot to Offer
Florida is known as a warm weather retreat for those living in colder northeast climates. With several fantastic gold courses in the state, it is a great place to plan winter golf outings:
- Fort Meade (about an hour’s drive from Tampa) features one of the most impressive golf courses in the East at Streamsong Golf Course. Ranked among the top 100 courses in the nation, the Streamsong resort offers a stunning array of dunes, lagoons, and lakes along its greens. Offering two separate courses, this resort is famous for its scenery as well as its challenging golfing.
- Ponte Verde is unmatched when it comes to offering challenging golfing at its renowned TPC Sawgrass Resort. Featuring two-par 72 courses, it is the home of the Players Championship. The courses most impressive challenge: the 17 hold island green that even the pros have to work at to master. Worried that you can’t keep up at this one-of-a-kind course? No worries – plenty of golf enthusiasts with little knowledge (or even talent) plan weekend getaways here to enjoy this professional course and beef up their game.
Arizona Golf Unmatched
The weather … the scenery .. the atmosphere… these are all things that makes Arizona a prime spot for warm weather golfing. Offering unique courses that sport picturesque scenery of rolling crags and cacti, playing here offers every golfer a dream setting.
With dozens of quality courses scattered throughout the state, it may be difficult to find the one right for you. Here are just some of the top-notch warm weather golf resorts this state uses to impress amateur and pro golfers alike:
- Troon North in Scottsdale: a great place for the entire family,this resort not only offers the golfer two great courses; beautiful backdrops; and an amazing staff of helpful pros, it is kid friendly making it a great getaway spot for the entire family to enjoy.
- We-Ko-Po Gold Club in Ft. McDowell: not the place to go if you are looking for other amenities, this golf club is designed for serious golfers only. At We-Ko-Po, golf is the only game in town. This one-of-a-kind 36 hole course is nestled far away from it all in the desert. A great place to enjoy the game without any other distractions, the solitude here makes it the perfect backdrop for both an intense game or a leisurely one that allows each player to simply enjoy the game in a picturesque desert surround.
- Grayhawk Gold Club of Scottsdale: a more modern approach to the game, this unique course combines rock and roll and golf to offer an eclectic blend of music and play. Set among both desert and mountains, the course offers a different viewpoint depending on which hole you are standing at. Players can enjoy hitting balls on the green with piped in rock and roll music coming from an array of speakers scattered throughout the area. While not every golfers dream, this modern approach to the game is a big hit amongst younger players. This is a great course to play walking golf with an electric golf trolley.
California Golfing Offers It All
Known for its exquisite courses and naturally warm weather, California is a big hit amongst golfing fans. Offering an eclectic array of courses that cater to all level players and multiple interests the resorts found here attract players from all over the world. Among some of the most popular include:
- Pebble Beach Gold Links (Pebble Beach) is well known in the golfing world having hosted the U.S. Open five times (with the next scheduled for 2019). Although it features one of the priciest greens fees in the industry, golfers of all ages and levels flock to this impressive course simply to experience this “course of the pros.”
- Spy Glass Hill another popular Pebble Beach course is the unique Spy Glass Hill who names its holes after the characters found in the famed novel Treasure Island. Recently named one of the op favorite public golf courses in the nation by industry experts, this course offers both newcomers and experts to the game a fun and interesting experience.
Everything is Bigger in Texas
When it comes to offering a beautiful setting and impressive courses, Texas, of course ranks high for warm weather golfing. Among its favorite courses is Austin’s’; own Barton Creek. Named just this year s as the #1 golf course in the state, Barton Creek features beautiful limestone caves, waterfalls and a gorgeous lake complement its greens and make any round of golf here a real experience. Designed by famed architect Tom Fazio, this course leads itself to drawing those who enjoy both nature and golf itself.
Don’t let the start of winter rob you of the chance to hit the golf course and enjoy the game you love. There are plenty of warm weather courses strewn throughout the United States that can curb your need to pick up a club while enjoying the beautiful scenery and warm weather of a different region. Don’t dread winter – beat it instead with a round of golf on one of these spectacular courses.